Application Deadline Date: Do Not Apply Online – see instructions below.
Department: State of Vermont Department of Human Resources
Location: Montpelier, VT, US
Position Type: Exempt
Schedule Type: Full Time
Hourly Rate: Commensurate With Experience
How to Apply
Do not apply online. Send cover letter and resume to Thomas A. Waldman, Esq. General Counsel, DHR at email@example.com by May 10, 2021. Please reference the job title “Staff Attorney” in the subject line.
The Vermont Department of Human Resources (DHR) has an opening for a Staff Attorney that will be filled at the Staff Attorney Il or III level. The position entails a wide variety of duties and skills, with a principal focus on employee and employer relations. The attorney will work within the Legal Division under the DHR General Counsel with another staff attorney, a legal services specialist, and a team of investigators. The individual will work closely with human resources and labor relations professionals, will research and provide legal advice in response to a broad range of inquiries, and will help craft solutions to ongoing issues and/or complaints.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Researching various labor and employment issues, and drafting related memoranda;
- Advising appointing authorities on appropriate employee discipline and drafting documents essential to the disciplinary process;
- Advising appointing authorities on appropriate responses to complaints of discrimination, harassment, and hostile work environment;
- Helping defend the State in labor and/or employment-related administrative proceedings and litigation;
- Collaborating with DHR employees, State managers, appointing authorities, and the Attorney General’s Office to take appropriate action, defend the State, and resolve employment-related disputes;
- Responding to public records requests, and to other citizen and employee inquiries; and
- Generally, striving to ensure that the State of Vermont fulfills its duties and legal obligations as an employer, while simultaneously striving to ensure that State of Vermont employees fulfill their duties and obligations to the State and its taxpayers;
- Review and analysis of proposed legislation impacting the State of Vermont as an employer;
- Review, revision and drafting of internal personnel policies.
This is a full-time, exempt position. Salary and benefits are based upon qualifications and experience, in accordance with the State of Vermont Attorney Pay Plan.
The successful candidate must be a member in good standing of the Vermont bar, or eligible for admission. Some experience in labor and employment law is preferred.
Equal Opportunity Statement
The State of Vermont is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applications from women, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and people from diverse cultural backgrounds are encouraged.