Legislative Law Clerk
The Office of Legislative Counsel seeks to hire a Law Clerk to support the attorneys in the Office of Legislative Counsel, whose mission is to provide nonpartisan legal advice and services to the Vermont General Assembly. The Law Clerk will support attorneys working on many legal and policy issues, including topics related to agriculture, natural resources, fish and wildlife, municipal law, government operations, and alcoholic beverages.
Education and Certifications:
- Law degree or equivalent legal experience is required
- Admission to the Vermont Bar is preferred
- Strong research, analysis, and writing skills
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- Ability to perform at the highest level under pressure
- Adept at working effectively both independently and as a team member in an environment that is fast paced and demanding
- Ability to provide nonpartisan services and to refrain from political activity or advocacy on issues within the jurisdiction of the Vermont General Assembly
This position is located in Montpelier, VT, and is full-time, temporary, and does not include health benefits. This position may require late-night and early-morning coverage as needed when the General Assembly is in session (January–May). Minimum starting salary of $25.00/hour with adjustments based on qualifications and experience. This position will start in early November with an anticipated end date of mid to late June 2023.
To apply, please submit in Word or PDF format a resume, a writing sample, and a cover letter explaining your interest and qualifications by e-mail to: HRapplications@leg.state.vt.us. Applications must be submitted by October 7, 2022. Please put your name and “law clerk application” in the subject field of the e-mail.
The Office of Legislative Counsel is an equal opportunity employer, and applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, or other protected category.