Expected Start Date: November/December 2021
The New Hampshire Municipal Association (NHMA), a nonprofit, nonpartisan, membership organization, is looking for a dynamic, highly motivated attorney with an interest in local government to fill the position of Municipal Services Counsel.
The Municipal Services Counsel’s primary role is providing legal advice and training to local officials in New Hampshire’s cities and towns as part of NHMA’s Legal Services team, but the position also serves an ancillary role to the Government Affairs team. Legal services include (1) providing legal advice and guidance to local government officials and employees through presentations, telephone and in-person consultations, and written legal opinions and (2) preparing, coordinating, and participating in training programs, seminars, and workshops on a variety of topics. Government affairs services include monitoring and reviewing legislation, answering member questions and encouraging advocacy, and occasional attendance at legislative hearings. Intrastate travel for workshops and seminars is required at times.
This position presents a unique opportunity to engage with and support local officials, while following the state legislative process and its impact on local government. Prior experience with municipal law is a plus, but is not required.
NHMA offers an excellent benefits package, including health and dental insurance, defined benefits plan, and optional 457(b). The position reports directly to the Executive Director. This is a salaried, exempt position.
Visit www.nhmunicipal.org to learn more about the services the New Hampshire Municipal Association provides.
• Juris Doctorate degree.
• Member of the New Hampshire bar in good standing. (Must be licensed in the State of New Hampshire prior to date of hire.)
• 1 – 5 years of experience as an attorney required.
• Strong public speaking ability required.
• Ability to represent NHMA to members and legislators and other stakeholders.
• Strong interpersonal/communication skills and an ability to work both independently and in teams. NHMA is a small, 9-person organization, and staff collaborate continuously.
• Strong motivation and an inquisitive mind.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Prior work with local government, either in a professional or volunteer capacity, is a plus.
For the full job description and information on how to apply, please go to https://www.nhmunicipal.org/classified/municipal-services-counsel-attorney.
Initial interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis, but candidates selected for an interview will be notified no later than September 30. Finalists will be invited back for a second interview.
Successful candidate will be required to pass professional background investigation.