First Assistant Clerk of the House
The House Clerk’s Office seeks to hire an attorney for the position of First Assistant Clerk of the House, which assists the Clerk of the House with the procedural operation of the Vermont House of Representatives. The House Clerk’s Office is a nonpartisan office that provides parliamentary services to the House, House members, and committees, regardless of party or political affiliation. The attorney will serve as a resource to the Clerk, the Speaker of the House, House members and committees, and legislative staff on all matters pertaining to legislative procedure, including by providing legal and parliamentary advice, recording official House action on legislation on the House floor, incorporating amendments into legislation, and preparing the House Calendar. The First Assistant Clerk holds a challenging, interesting, and important role at the heart of representative government and is part of a small team responsible for assisting the House in performing its constitutional function.
Education and Experience:
- Law school degree or successful completion of a recognized law office study program
- Minimum of 3 years of work experience in a professional legal environment
- Current licensure to practice law in Vermont
- Legislative experience or experience in State or local government, or both, is preferred but not required
- Ability to always remain professional and impartial while working in a political environment
- Ability to perform at the highest level under pressure
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong research, analysis, and writing skills
- Ability to work independently
- Strong work ethic
- Excellent attention to detail
Minimum starting salary of $71,420, with adjustments based on qualifications and experience. The comprehensive State benefits package includes health insurance and retirement plans.
To apply, please submit in Word or PDF format a resume, a writing sample, and a cover letter explaining your interest and qualifications by e-mail to: HRApplications@leg.state.vt.us. Applications must be submitted by August 1, 2022. Please put your name and “First Assistant Clerk application” in the subject field of the e-mail.
The House Clerk’s Office is an equal opportunity employer, and applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, or other protected category.