Disability Rights Vermont is Vermont’s Protection & Advocacy system. DRVT is expanding its legal team and looking to hire a staff attorney with 2-5 years of experience to assist in our advocacy of people with disabilities. Advocacy includes litigation, policy advocacy, outreach and monitoring, and public education.
- Draft legal memoranda
- Assist, advise, and represent clients with disabilities on a wide range of issues from discrimination, getting reasonable accommodations, remedying rights violations, and victims representation
- Identify and review potential cases and develop advocacy strategies
- Conduct outreach and monitoring
- Draft reports, articles, and other publications
- Develop and maintain relationships with community partners
- Licensed to practice law in Vermont
- 2-5 years legal experience
- Litigation experience is a plus but not required (clerkship or fellowship experience also a plus)
- Experience working with people with disabilities is a plus
- Excellent research, writing, and analytical skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest work
- Ability to work with a team
- Compassionate, creative, and ability to maintain a good sense of humor
Salary competitive for a non-profit public interest legal work and based on experience and competitive benefit package.
To apply, send a cover letter explaining your interest in advocating for people with disabilities, resume, writing sample 10 pages or less, and contact information for 3 references to:
Disability Rights Vermont
141 Main St. / Suite 7
Montpelier, VT 05602
Applications will be reviewed starting November 5, 2021.