Supreme Court Staff Attorney
The Supreme Court seeks a highly motivated attorney to join its team serving the Vermont Judiciary. This position is a member of the Supreme Court’s central staff and involves a variety of adjudicative and operational duties for the Court and individual justices.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Research and draft opinions, entry orders, and legal memoranda for the Court and the individual Justices.
- Research and draft memoranda for the Court on cases designated for summary disposition.
- Screen cases for full-Court review or summary disposition.
- Assist in the disposition of various motions before the Court.
- Assist in developing policies and procedures relating to law clerks, caseload management, and publishing of decisions.
- Staff miscellaneous Court projects and committees.
- Assist in the recruitment, selection, and training of support staff, law clerks, and interns.
- Support other Judiciary-wide projects as directed by the Court Administrator.
- Other duties as assigned
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS, JOB SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
(Required to perform the essential functions of the job.)
- Juris Doctor or Law Office Study qualifying for Bar Admission.
- Judicial Clerkship and additional law related experience required, or the equivalent.
- Two or more years of relevant experience.
- Excellent academic credentials.
- Proficiency in computer-assisted legal research, Windows, and Word.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
The annual equivalent for this position will be $65,000 or higher depending upon experience.
- Twelve days each of vacation and sick leave are earned per year.
- Twelve holidays are paid per year.
- Group life and medical insurance are available.
- Dental coverage is effective after six months.
- Long Term Disability coverage after one year.
- Deferred Compensation (457 Plan), a supplemental savings and investment plan for retirement.
- Membership in the Vermont State Employees’ Retirement System, through either a Defined Benefit (i.e. pension) plan or through a Defined Contribution plan.
Submission of Applications: Candidates shall submit a complete and up-to-date Judicial Branch Application and a resume to the following email address: JUD.firstname.lastname@example.org
Format E-mail subject line as follows: “your name 21028” (example: Smith 21028)
In your e-mail please refer to where you were informed of this recruitment notice
An electronic version of the Application found at: https://www.vermontjudiciary.org/employment-opportunities/staff-openings
Open until filled. Equal Opportunity Employer